Sunday, January 9, 2011

Brown Rice

I would always make brown rice instead of white rice the usual way.  Boil water and let simmer forever.  The brown rice would ALWAYS a little crunchy.   Then I found this recipe and I use it every time we eat rice and now my boys don't care that they are eating brown rice.  

1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately or if you are making fried rice put in fridge for a night. 

No comments: